Monday, March 14, 2022

Great Is Thy Faithfulness, Lord Unto Me

"...Our notation of our trials is very apt to present them in exaggerated number, but when we come to count our mercies, as a usual rule, our tendency is to diminish them. We magnify the host of our troubles, and we underestimate the armies of our benefits." -Spurgeon


"We are apt to forget an ocean of mercies, because of one drop of affliction." -Spurgeon

These quotes from Spurgeon were convicting for me, as I know as much as I don't like to admit it...all too often it is true of me. I don't want to forget the many mercies of the Lord to me! I hope these things are an encouragement to you like they were to me to be remembering the many mercies of the Lord in spite of whatever we may be going through, and being thankful to Him. 

"I will bless the LORD at all times: His praise shall continually be in my mouth."

Psalm 34:1

      

This morning I read another blogger's post that mentioned about the great faithfulness and mercies of the Lord...and ever since, this song has been in my mind, which I'm thankful for! 

Great is Thy Faithfulness

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father, 
There is no shadow of turning with Thee. 
Thou changest not, Thy compassions they fail not, 
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be. 

REFRAIN:
Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness! 
Morning by morning new mercies I see. 
All I have needed, Thy hand hath provided; 
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me. 

Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above,
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

(REFRAIN)

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

(REFRAIN)

It has also been an encouragement to me in recent days to remember that our Lord reigns over all...and especially remembering how faithful and merciful He is! 

"The LORD reigneth; let the earth rejoice; let the multitude of isles be glad thereof."

Psalm 97:1

11 comments:

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

How true it is, that the slight of one wipes out the good of many. And how easy it is to forget the goodness of the Lord in the midst of a troubling time. Thank you for the beautiful quotes from Spurgeon, and the gentle reminder to count our blessings, and find how they outweigh our sorrows :)

Sunshine Country said...

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice... Thank you so much for your comment! It was an encouragement to me. :)

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi dear Sunshine,
Thank you for reviving this refrain in my heart. My body and heart are weary tonight so its been the balm of Gilead to me.

Love Spurgeon, such a down to earth truth speaker of his time, gets to the nitty gritty of a matter in the most succinct way.
Those are words of power, yes convicting, but the truth behind them brings great comfort.

Thanks for sharing, and may God bless and keep you and all whom you love safe and well.
Prayer hugs, Shaz in Oz. X

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

Cheryl said...

Such a beautiful post! I love the quotes by Spurgeon and that dear, old hymn. Thank you for this precious encouragement this morning! God bless you.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

I really enjoyed these thoughts. Thank you for the song and encouragement!

Sunshine Country said...

Dear sister Shaz, I'm so thankful that this hymn was a blessing to you. It is true what you said that the quotes from Spurgeon do bring comfort as well as conviction, reminding us of how great the Lord's mercies really are to us. Thank you for pointing that out. May the Lord bless and keep you as well!

Sunshine Country said...

Cheryl...you're welcome! I'm thankful this was an encouragement to you. May the Lord bless you as well!

Sunshine Country said...

Sister in the Mid-west... Thank you for your comment! I'm thankful you enjoyed these thoughts. You're welcome!♡

Jennifer said...

Praise God for His faithfulness unto us. Love your beautiful pictures to!

Sunshine Country said...

Jennifer...Thank you so much! I appreciate your comment.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

This is one of my all time favorite hymns! And you CANNOT go wrong with a Spurgeon quote or two!! I was just with a friend today who is struggling to see beyond all of the struggles so I will be sharing both of these quotes with her! Thank you!