Monday, April 11, 2022

Re-making Clothing

This is a draft post I made way back in 2016! I was looking at it recently, and thought it was about time I should pull it out and share it rather than let it sit here for more years at a time. : )  Maybe it will inspire someone else to re-purpose some clothing you don't have any other use for.

So...here it is: 

"When I was younger, I used to sew and make things just about all of the time. 
And being a young girl, one of my favorite things to make was doll 
dresses for my dolls. :)  I never knew how handy that experience 
would come to be later!  Now that I have nieces to make things for, 
it's so easy to put together dresses for them (actually a lot easier than 
making those tiny little doll dresses), and it is much more rewarding. :)



Here is one of my most recent projects.  I took this large shirt (above), and 
with some cutting and adjustment... 


                                       ....turned it into this dress to fit one of my nieces. 
                              This was one of my first times to re-make a piece of clothing     
                             into something entirely different, and it has been so much fun." 


So that's it. I didn't take pictures of the steps in the process...but I remember using a bodice pattern from a little girl's dress pattern, and then just gathering the skirt to fit (I'm pretty sure my sister gave me waist and length measurements). I added the red fabric at the bottom to give more length, since there wasn't quite enough fabric from the shirt to make the dress long enough. I enjoyed the contrast as well. Now I feel like trying to go make something similar to this again! :) It might make for another post in the future if that happens. Hopefully not six years after the fact, though...lol. 

A verse of encouragement for today:


5 comments:

Sister in the Mid-west said...

What a cute dress! You did a great job. I need to do some projects like this for my little girl. Your post has been inspiring to me! :)

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Outstanding!!! That is so cute and you did an amazing job! I've recently been doing this as well. I sew a lot and fabric is so expensive. I find things at thrift stores and cut them up to sew for my grandson. I also made dresses for two great nieces from their grandpa's shirts and a denim jacket from his jeans for his grandson. You should make more of these . . . great eye using all of the pretty details!!

Sunshine Country said...

Sister in the Mid-west - Thank you! I hope you're able to make some dresses like this. :)

Sunshine Country said...

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made - Thank you! I really appreciate your comment!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Such talent! I really like your artistic eye to see the potential in used clothing. I like your Bible verse too:) Linn from WA State