Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Sweetest Name

  Almost every time I sing one of these songs, my thoughts go back to the time in my life when I could not sing these songs wholeheartedly. I even remember wondering something like: "Why did these people think the name of Jesus was 'sweet' to them? What do they mean by that?" Then one wonderful day, the Lord saved my soul! Now I too, know the meaning of how sweet the name of the Lord Jesus Christ is to my soul, and can sing these songs with all my heart, because He has become my Saviour and now I know "how sweet the name of Jesus sounds in a believer's ear"!
 
There have been names that I have loved to hear, 
But never has there been a name so dear
To this heart of mine, as the name divine, 
The precious, precious name of Jesus. 

Refrain:
Jesus is the sweetest name I know, 
And He's just the same as His lovely name, 
And that's the reason why I love Him so;
Oh, Jesus is the sweetest name I know. 

The name of Jesus is so sweet, 
I love its music to repeat; 
It makes my joys full and complete, 
The precious name of Jesus! 

Refrain:
"Jesus" --O how sweet the name, 
"Jesus" every day the same; 
"Jesus"--let all saints proclaim 
His worthy praise for ever! 


How sweet the name of Jesus sounds 
In a believer's ear! 
It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds, 
And drives away his fear. 

It makes the wounded spirit whole 
And calms the troubled breast; 
'Tis manna to the hungry soul
And to the weary rest. 

Dear name! the rock on which I build, 
My shield and hiding place; 
My never-failing treasure, filled
With boundless stores of grace!

  Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: ...

1 Peter 2:7a

  And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, 
and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.  
Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him
 a name which is above every name:   That at the name of Jesus 
every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, 
and things under the earth;   And that every tongue should 
confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. 

Philippians 2:8-11

Has the name of the Lord Jesus Christ

 become sweet to your soul as well? 

1 comment:

A Heart of Praise said...

Amen, the name of Jesus is so very sweet to me too! :) What a beautiful, wonderful Savour we serve! Thanks for sharing this great hymn! :)