Friday, September 11, 2015

A Cicada

 Some time back, my brother discovered this cicada that was
still in the nymph stage in our yard. It was neat to see one that 
hadn't molted yet into the adult stage! I decided to keep it in a glass
container, so I could maybe watch it molt, but after nothing had 
happened by one o'clock in the morning, I decided I wasn't going
to spend the whole night watching it. :)
 The next morning, there was a beautiful, winged cicada. Such an amazing
 little insect that God has created. 

 O LORD, how great are thy works! and thy thoughts are very deep. 
Psalms 92:5

4 comments:

A Heart of Praise said...

Oh wow, that is so neat! Too bad you didn't get to see it come out of its shell, but that is still neat you all found it like that and were able to keep it until it did! :) I think Cicadas are really interesting. :)

Sister in the Mid-west said...

It is so neat to watch cicadas come out of their shell. It is not always easy to catch, though. :) When I was 11 the 17 year cicadas hatched out in the mid-west. They are a type of cicada that develop under ground for 17 years and then hatch out in mass. They were every where! We watched so many nymphs come out of their shells that year. It was a great childhood experience!

Sunshine Country said...

That must've been so neat to get to see that many cicadas around, and getting to watch the nymphs come out of their shells! I've still been noticing cicada shells around occasionally, so maybe we'll find another one sometime that hasn't molted yet.:)

Ashley said...

That's so cool! I've never seen a cicada, I don't think.