Monday, June 27, 2022

Flowers, Cherries, and Herbs

 Here in the States where I live, we have just officially entered summer. It was a busy and productive spring for me this year, which I'm thankful for.  This past week was one of those times when I walked out into the garden one day, and could hardly believe how much it had seemed to have grown just overnight! Thankfully I did get a good mulch of grass put down earlier this spring that has kept down the majority of the weeds...but there's always those random spots where they seem to pop up in in places I missed.  


I've been harvesting flowers almost weekly that I grew for the Farmer's Market. (I might post more about my small backyard flower farm venture this year another time, Lord willing...we'll see how that goes). It has been a unique learning experience. Some parts of that in the early spring have been somewhat of a disappointment, but I am starting to have more flowers blooming now that I hope will begin to do better. We started out with a pretty dry spring, but I'm really thankful for the rain God blessed us with just recently. 


"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." -Matthew 5:44-45

My sister-in-law recently shared a poem with me about "Free Water" - the rain the God sends. It's had me thinking more about rain lately and being thankful for it when it comes. : ) 


It's the time of year for cherries again. It is slow going to get them all pitted and ready to go in the freezer, but I have finally managed to get most of them done, and they are nearing the end of production.  I've also been gathering Lavender bouquets to dry for the Farmer's Market. 

I have many bouquets of lavender and other flowers hanging inside to dry in random places!


Here and there I've been finding time to do some knitting, which isn't very common for me (I normally prefer crocheting).  I recently finished this small baby blanket...not sure yet who it will be for, but it's on hand now if I need a gift for someone. : ) 

Our roses were blooming recently, and looked so pretty that I couldn't pass up getting my camera and taking some photos. These ones smelled wonderful! 


Our sweet cat Teddy came to join me as I was taking pictures. He is a stray that showed up at our home a couple years ago, and wouldn't let us get near or touch him for a long time. Now he loves attention...almost too much so! : ) 


It has just literally felt as if days are just flying by lately...I guess that's what happens when you're staying busy. It often gets me thinking, though, how brief our lives really are, and what really matters most! 
I was just thinking about this verse in the hymn:

Nearer, still nearer, while life shall last, 
Till safe in glory my anchor is cast;
Through endless ages ever to be, 
Nearer my Saviour, still nearer to Thee;
Nearer my Saviour, still nearer to Thee. 

That one is actually the last verse in the song, but here are the first three as well: 

Nearer, still nearer, close to Thy heart, 
Draw me, my Savior, so precious Thou art. 
Fold me, O fold me close to Thy breast;
Shelter me safe in that haven of rest, 
Shelter me safe in that haven of rest. 

Nearer, still nearer, nothing I bring, 
Naught as an off'ring to Jesus my King--
Only my sinful, now contrite hear; 
Grant me the cleansing Thy blood doth impart, 
Grant me the cleansing Thy blood doth impart. 

Nearer still nearer, Lord to be Thine, 
Sine with its follies I gladly resign, 
All of its pleasures, pomp, and its pride; 
Give me but Jesus my Lord crucified, 
Give me but Jesus my Lord crucified. 


I hope all of you have been doing well, and having a good summer so far (or whatever season you are currently in where you live)! : )

9 comments:

Sister in the Mid-west said...

You have been busy! I am glad it is summer now. I love having fresh flowers! My little black-eyed Susan's are getting ready to bloom and so are the Day Lillies.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Wow do you have a green thumb! Beautiful and those cherries . . . goodness! Now you mention putting down grass clippings on your garden? I've not heard of that? Do tell more please! I love that old hymn . . . the old ones are usually so steeped in God's Word . . . so meaningful - thanks for sharing!

Sunshine Country said...

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made... Thank you so much for your comment! I would be happy to tell more about how I use grass clippings on my garden! I will see if I can maybe do a post sometime soon explaining more about it. Thanks for asking!

Sunshine Country said...

Sister in the Midwest... That's exciting your flowers are getting ready to bloom! I love your small black eyed susans- I bought some seeds to grow some myself this year! I seen some flower buds beginning to form on mine also the other day. Actually I learned that variety is called "brown" eyed susans...just a way of distinguishing them from the larger variety, I guess. :)

Sarah said...

I so enjoyed reading your post this evening! Your flower bouquet is beautiful. The story of Teddy is so sweet! He looks like a very happy kitty. The picture of him on the steps with the flower nearby was lovely! I too enjoyed the hymn you shared. Thank you for sharing beauty and words encouragement. May you have a blessed day!

Sunshine Country said...

Sarah, Thank you so much for your sweet comment and compliments about the pictures! It's so nice to have you stop by my blog!

Gabrielle said...

Oh wow! Those flowers are so beautiful! I loved seeing what you have been busy with♥ And your kitty is so adorable!
Blessings and love, Gabrielle♥

Sunshine Country said...

Thank you, Gabrielle! I appreciate your comment!

Jennifer said...

What a joy it is to read and see the beauty of your home and garden. I think that growing flowers for such a venture is a delightful idea! Your blanket looks lovely to and I know it takes a lot to make them. I really love your sweet hutch. A pretty place for your tea things and to hang herbs to dry. I also like your kitty. Looks like he is very much loving being at your place. Thank you for sharing the encouragement of the brevity of life. Time really does slip by at times unnoticed and it would do us all well to consider it.