Tuesday, September 20, 2022

It's been awhile...

 It's been awhile since I've posted on here, so I figured it was about time I try to put together a post again! It's been a fairly busy summer for me - one of the most recent things that was keeping me busy is watching our neighbor's dog while they were away. She is a lively dog that gave me a good workout each day whenever I took her out for a walk. : ) 


Here she is...sitting still for once only because I was luring her to sit and stay with some treats. lol 


Last week I was excited to see that some monarch butterflies were passing through again on their migration south. Some of you may remember my post about this last year, where hundreds of monarch butterflies were flying through our yard, and clustering in our trees. I wasn't sure if I would see any again this year, but am happy to see that some are coming through again! 


I planted quite a variety of flowers this year, and have really enjoyed seeing their bright colors around the yard. I grew most of the common ones like Marigolds, Zinnias, Pansies, Cosmos, Sunflowers, Black-eyed Susans, Celosia and Petunias, and a few less common ones including Lisianthus, Freesia, and Ranunculus. 






One of my Lisianthus flowers. (The picture does not do it justice). 
 I have to say that even though Lisianthus are a bit of a challenge to get growing at the start...they are such a gorgeous flower that lasts such a long time as a cut flower that I definitely want to try growing them again! I almost didn't try them because so many people online were saying how hard they are to grow...but after my first time growing them this year, I would say it's mostly just a trial of patience to grow them than anything, lol. They are extremely slow growing when they first start out. When they first sprout and come up, their first two leaves are so tiny it is almost difficult to see them. Mine stayed really tiny for probably a couple months or more! 

Oh yes, and I grew one of my favorites - Snapdragons. I loved the "Berry Blend" colors I purchased from Johnny's Seeds. There were so many pretty shades of pinks and reds. 


These Morning Glories came up on their own and climbed a pole that was in our flower garden. Even though they kind of took over the area, I thought they looked pretty so I decided to let them stay. Blue flowers are another favorite of mine! I am not often an early morning person, but I found myself wanting to go outside earlier than usual just so I could see them before they closed every once in awhile. :) 


We have this path mowed around one section of our yard that I've been enjoying taking walks on often. Sometimes when I'm just feeling overwhelmed with various things it's been relaxing to just take time to walk out here to have some time alone to think and pray. I discovered a dove's nest along the edge of the woods here one day while on one of my walks - I'm always so thankful to see the birds and other wildlife God has made for us to enjoy! 

A fellow-blogger posted the hymn, "I Need Thee Every Hour", recently, and it was a blessing to me so I thought I'd share part of it in my post. This verse in particular stood out to me: 

I need Thee every hour, teach me Thy will; 
And Thy rich promises in me fulfill. 
I need thee, oh, I need thee; Every hour I need thee;
Oh, bless me now, my Savior! I come to thee.

Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: Thy Spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness. 
-Psalms 143:10
 


This is a instrumental hymn that I've enjoyed listening to lately. I hope it's a blessing to you all too.
I hope all of you have been doing well. :) 



4 comments:

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Your flowers are so gorgeous! I have only heard of lizanthus this year. I know I would love to have some lizanthus flowers but I, also, know I wouldn't have the patience for it. Lol I am going to have to grow some snapdragons again. I remember be enamored by them the first time I grew some.
Thank you for the hymn. I will give it a listen later.

Sunshine Country said...

Sister in the Midwest - Thank you! Maybe if I'm home this winter to grow Lisianthus again, I can share some of my plants with you so you won't be the one having your patience stretched. Lol Thank you for your comment!

Gabrielle said...

Dear Sunshine Country, it was so lovely reading your newsy post and what you have been busy with!♥
You have taken some beautiful pictures of your flowers, and it was so inspiring to see what you have been growing.
My flower garden is still very small, and sometimes I get a little discouraged, because it is still so cold here, very few of my seeds will come up....gardening sure does teach one to be patient:) So happy you are blogging again, I have missed your posts♥
Blessings and love,
Gabrielle♥

Sunshine Country said...

Gabrielle - it is so good to have you stop by and leave me a comment! Thank you! Yes, gardening does teach one patience. :) I remember this spring feeling the same way with my flower garden...as if things were just so slow to get growing well and blooming! But the wait is worth it. :) Blessings to you as well!