Monday, December 27, 2021

Favorite Flaky Biscuits Recipe

 


I've tried quite a few different biscuit recipes, and by far, this one has surpassed all of the ones I tried! 


I especially knew I had a good recipe when my brother (who normally is quite particular about his food) told me they taste so good, and asked me why I don't make them more often.  That may not sound like much, but it's a high compliment coming from him. 😄

 Your family might already have a favorite biscuit recipe that's just as good, but this has definitely become a new favorite for me. 

Here is the recipe:  

2 1/2 cups flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup milk (or buttermilk)

Preheat oven to 475. (I will make a note here, that unlike perhaps most other cooks...I almost never preheat my oven. However, for this recipe, I do believe this is important as it helps the biscuits cook more quickly, making them moist in the middle, and nice and crisp on the bottom). Freeze butter at least 30 minutes; frozen solid works best.  Grate butter, and mix with dry ingredients. Add milk, a little at a time, while tossing with a fork, until a ball of dough begins to form. Squeeze together, and pat dough into a thick rectangle (about an inch thick or so). Fold in half, and pat it down again. Repeat 4-6 times. (Note: I've been told this step of folding is important for making flaky biscuits, as it creates those noticeable layers that flake apart...and I definitely notice a big difference.

Flatten dough to about 3/4" thick, and cut with biscuit ring of desired size. (Or, if you have no biscuit cutter, you can do like me and just use a cup from your cupboard.) : ) 

Bake for 10-12 minutes. 

A verse for today: 

 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.
-Psalm 111:10

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to try these! I had never thought folding the dough like that would make a difference!

~Emily

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Your biscuits look beautiful! Your recipe is very similar to the one I've been using since I was a child. I am going to have to try the folding technique that you described.

Cheryl said...

These sound amazing! Thank you so much for sharing. I am going to print out the recipe and try it! God bless you.

Jennifer said...

Your biscuits look amazing! I shall try to fold the dough from now on.
Love your plate to...it's the same as my mom has. Beautiful!