Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Growing African Violets

 African violets are one of my favorite indoor plants to grow. I've always found 
them to be quite hardy and easy to care for, and, with enough sunlight, will often 
continuously bloom for months at a time! I've had this one in the above picture for 
at least several years, and a month or two ago decided to try making another start from it.
About a week ago, I was happy to see that the leaf that I had planted in a small 
pot already had two small little plants growing up from its base! Now, I'm just 
hoping to eventually find someone who I can get starts from for some different colors
than what I already have.

Does anyone else out there enjoy growing African Violets?

7 comments:

A Heart of Praise said...

As you know, I love African violets! :) I need to get a purple one, my pink one surprised me and has been blooming for a few weeks now. I'm afraid I still don't take very good care of my plants like I used too when I had so much free time. ;) :D I should get some food for them, in reality they don't need a ton of care.

Lilac Cottage Homestead said...

I use to grow them. I love them! Sadly I haven't grown any in a while. God bless

Kelly

Ashley said...

I've never heard of or grown African violets. They are pretty. I would like to grow them sometime. :)

Love,
Ashley
creatingpreciousmoments.blogspot.com
ps. I replied to your comment! :)

Sunshine Country said...

Ashley, I think you would enjoy trying to grow them! :) I've found that Walmart sells African Violets in their garden center occasionally, if you're interested in looking, but they might not carry them at this time of year. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to look, though! :) Thanks for the comment!

Sunshine Country said...

Kelly,
Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! :)

Breezy said...

I love African violets and want to try propagating some more! They're so cheery and stalwart.

Sunshine Country said...

Thank you for the comment, Breezy!