Wednesday, July 1, 2015

An Abundance of Apples

 After noticing that we had lots of apples that needed used, I decided
 to try some new recipes to use up some of them.

 The first recipe I tried was "Apple Baked Chicken". It wasn't 
exactly what I would call my favorite, but I thought the flavor was 
pretty good overall. I would probably use a more sour apple (and fewer
of them) if I ever made something like this again.
I also made some "Apple Peanut Butter Cookies" (sorry, 
I don't have a picture of those), and then thought I'd make 
an old tried and true one--Apple Crisp. :)

Here's a yummy recipe to try:

Crumbly Apple Crisp

FILLING:
8 cups sliced, peeled tart apples
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt

TOPPING:
(Crumbled)
1/2 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
4 Tbsp. cold butter

 CRUST:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter
1/2 cup ice water or less
1/2 cup sugar

Bake at 350 in two 8x8 pans (or one 9x13" pan) for 35 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden. Enjoy! :)


5 comments:

A Heart of Praise said...

Love the pictures, everything looks and sounds delicious! A piece of apple crisp would taste great right now! :) Thanks for posting the recipe!

Amy said...

I thought the chicken tasted good! Like the new blog design, good job!

Amy said...

Oh, and I like how you arranged the apple dessert, with the Mint! =) Reminds me of "food decorating" at the Widows retreat when we volunteered. Such fun!

Sunshine Country said...

Thanks for the comment, Emily! :) The apple crisp never seems to last long around here. :)

Sunshine Country said...

Thank you, Amy! :) That was so much fun helping make food at the widow's retreat--hopefully we'll get to go again sometime!