Friday, June 14, 2019

The Refiner of Silver

Some years ago, I had found this article in an old periodical from the late 1800's titled "The Remembrancer", (based off one of the verses in 2 Peter, "Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth." It was such a thought-provoking article, that I printed it out and saved it. It wasn't till recently as I was reading something else, that it came to my mind again, and I thought I'd type it up and post it here for others to read. I hope it's a blessing to someone else as well. 

The Refiner of Silver
From: The Remembrancer -- 1894

But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap: 
And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness. 
-Malachi 3:1-2

Some months ago, a few ladies, who met together in Dublin to read the Scriptures and make them the subject of conversation, were reading the third chapter of Malachi.
One of the ladies gave it as her opinion that the "Fuller's soap" and the "Refiner of silver" was the same image; both intended to convey the same view of the sanctifying influence of the grace of Christ; while another observed, "there is something remarkable in the expression in the third verse, "He shall SIT as a refiner and purifier of silver".
They agreed that possibly it might be so, and one of the ladies promised to call on a silversmith, and report to them what he said on the subject: She went accordingly, and without telling him the object of her errand, begged to know the process of refining silver. This he fully described to her; "but," said she, do you sit while the work of refining is going on?"
"Oh, yes, madam," replied the silversmith, "I must sit with my eye steadily fixed on the furnace, for if the time necessary for refining is exceeded, the silver is sure to be injured."
At once she saw the beauty and the comfort of the expression, "He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver."
Christ sees it needful to put the children into the furnace-but He is seated at the side of it-His eye is steadily intent on the work of purifying, and wisdom and love are both engaged in the best manner for them. Their trials do not come at random. The very hairs of their head are all numbered.
As the lady was leaving, the silversmith called her back, and said he had further to mention that he only knew when the work was complete by seeing his own image reflected in the silver. A beautiful figure! When Christ SEES His own image in His people, the work of purifying is accomplished!
It has been well said: "If thou art a child of God, there is no exemption from the household discipline. The voice that speaks may seem rough, but the hand that smites is gentle. The furnace may be seven times heated, but the Refiner is seated by. His object is not to consume, but to purify. All, be assured, will yet bear the stamp of love. The saint on earth can say regarding his trials, in faith and in trust, "I know, O Lord that Thy judgments are right, and that Thou in faithfulness hast afflicted me." The saint in glory can go a step further, " I see, O Lord, that they are so!"
"Believer, on a calm retrospect of thy heaviest afflictions, say were they unneeded? Was this what Augustine calls "the severe mercy of God's discipline' -was it too severe? Less would not have done. He may have led thee to a Zarepath ('a place of furnaces'), but it is to show thee there 'one like unto the Son of God!'
"When was thy God ever so near thee, or thou to thy God, as in the furnace-fires? The spices in the temple of old were bruised. The gold of its candlestick was beaten gold! My soul, be still! Thou hast in affliction one means of glorifying God which even angels have not in a sorrowless world: Patience under the rod-submission to thy Heavenly Father's will."

"Yes, patience! there may come a time, 
When these dull ears shall hear aright, 
Strains that outring earth's drowsy chime, 
As heaven outshines the taper's light!" 

That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold which perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise, and honor, and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ." -1 Peter 1:7

3 comments:

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Thanks so very much for all the time it took you to write that out dear Sunshine as it would not have been copy and paste!
It’s a really blessed message, and very good to read thiguna few times.
Much depth in it I will share on my FB page tomorrow.
As I was reading it I know I’ve read it before somewhere a very long time ago, I’ve a friend who has a huge library a room called a library in fact! Joy eh?anyway often publications in this era and so prob where I read it .. it’s just bit that leapt out at me that came to life afresh that made me realise the sitting by throughout the process, the reflection in the purified silver. I suspect it maybe published again by Bible Truth publishers perhaps? Do you know of them? They’re in America and they’ve published again lots of wonderful books, and selling others, including Sunshine Country, I bought mine from them, but given it away since then.
Re your comment on my blog. I thank you very much. For the first eight years of my Christian walk I had very little teaching and fellowship I was young in unsaved family .. so know what you mean about feeling it, but it taught me to cling to the LORD, and this is what He wants us to do, sis.
One day in heaven we have a wonderful reunion. The story of the prelude to my blow was so of the Lord, how wonderfully faithful He is .. a Freudnso True, a Father so loving. And a Saviour so Glorious .. was sharing with a sister whose not long with cancer re the Lord Jesus prayer for us in John 17, and part of His prayer was in v24... and what was to come for her so soon, she was to behold the King of Kings in His glory.
John 17:24
[Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.
We so often focus n the mud underneath and not of the glories of the Lord of Glory above. In the world but not of it. Also in that prayer. Need to do post on it I think... 😊 one day.
Lord bless sweet sis. And thanks again for this uplifting story. Precious precious gleaning of scripture.
Prayer hugs, Shaz in Oz.x

Marilyn Mathis said...

Thank you for this beautiful post. I especially liked "When Christ SEES His own image in His people, the work of purifying is accomplished!" How far I am from that. God is so patient with us! Hugs.

Cheryl said...

Oh, what a wonderful article! I am so thankful you shared. It is good to be reminded that God has a Divine purpose for the pain He permits in the lives of His trusting children, and He won't leave us one second too long in the fire. I am so thankful I found your blog today. May the dear Lord bless you.