Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Abiding in Him



"Our question ought not to be, how many times have I read through God's Word? But rather, how much have I retained and obeyed? This will humble the heart, and cause us to search and try our ways."



"When the Word dwells as a familiar friend in the heart to direct, counsel and comfort us, then it is a sign it abides there. The devil knows good and hates it, therefore knowledge alone is nothing; but when the promise alters the temper of the heart itself, then it is engrafted there." -Unknown 

 "If ye abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, 
and it shall be done unto you." -John 15:7

How do we know if we are abiding in Him, and His Words are abiding in us? God gives us the answer to that here in 1 John: 

"But whoso keepeth His word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: 
hereby know we that we are in Him." 
-1 John 2:5

And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. 
And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us. 
-1 John 3:24

It's not by doing what's right in our own eyes, but testing our lives by the holy Word of God, and keeping His commandments. Are we desiring to keep His commandments? 

Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD 
pondereth the hearts.
 -Proverbs 21:2

And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming. 
-1 John 2:28

2 comments:

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Agree so, dear Sunshine.. Ps 119 “Thy Word have I hid in mine heart that I might not sin against Thee”. Key indeed as you say is not merely reading of Word but in heeding it.
Walking in the light as He is in the light (1 John1). ... O dear Lord May we always reflect Thee in all we do.

Sending prayer hugs your way dear Sunshine, know from your last very welcome comment on prayer blog post that this has been a trying time for you .. I so agree and find it thus although diff ways, also. Lord bless strengthen you dear Sunshine.
You’re in my prayers.
Hugs,, Shaz in Oz.x

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Thinking of you dear Sunshine and praying for you..

This passage just blessed my heart. Thought it would yours also.
How beautiful is the Word of the Lord and how lovingly He watches over His weak little sheep.
"2 Samuel 22:26-27,29-34,36-37
With the merciful thou wilt shew thyself merciful, and with the upright man thou wilt shew thyself upright.
[27] With the pure thou wilt shew thyself pure; and with the froward thou wilt shew thyself unsavoury.
[29] For thou art my lamp, O Lord : and the Lord will lighten my darkness.
[30] For by thee I have run through a troop: by my God have I leaped over a wall.
[31] As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him.
[32] For who is God, save the Lord ? and who is a rock, save our God?
[33] God is my strength and power: and he maketh my way perfect.
[34] He maketh my feet like hinds' feet : and setteth me upon my high places.
[36] Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy gentleness hath made me great.
[37] Thou hast enlarged my steps under me; so that my feet did not slip."
Esp love v39
"For thou art my lamp, O Lord : and the Lord will lighten my darkness. "

Hope in the midst of hopelessness. That's our God praise Him.
Prayer hugs.
Shaz. Xxx