Tuesday, October 13, 2020

An old hymn




I hadn't heard this hymn in a long time, but it was an encouragement to me as I was listening to a sermon that it was quoted in. A reminder that storms are no accident in our lives...the Lord is in control, and what a comfort that is. 

For He commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, 
which lifteth up the waves thereof.
 -Psalms 107:25

Jesus, Saviour, pilot me, 
Over life's tempestuous seas. 
Unknown waves before me roll,
Hiding rock and treach'rous shoal;
Chart and compass come from Thee:
Jesus, Saviour, pilot me!


As a mother stills her child, 
Thou canst hush the ocean wild;
Boist'rous waves obey Thy will
When Thou say'st to them, "Be still!"
Wondrous Sov'reign of the sea,
Jesus, Saviour, pilot me!


When at last I near the shore, 
And the fearful breakers roar
'Twixt me and the peaceful rest, 
Then, while leaning on Thy breast,
May I hear Thee say to me, 
"Fear not, I will pilot thee!" 

Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and He bringeth them out of their distresses.

  He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.

Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven.

Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men! 
-Psalms 107:28-31

6 comments:

Mehrll said...

Thank you so much for sharing the scriptures and the old hymns. I love the words of the old hymns. They have such richness and depth. Your blog is a blessing because you feature our Lord and Saviour. God bless you every day is my prayer. Hugs.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

I enjoyed your post! I have memories of learning this hymn when my Dad was the song leader at our Church and I was a little girl. :) My favorite verse describes the safety that we have with Jesus as our Pilot is akin to a bird at home in it's nest.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

So,....
I got my childhood hymnal out and looked for the verse I referenced in my earlier comment. I must be thinking of a different song because it is not there. Unless, my childhood imagination always envisioned a bird taking care of it's babies at the verse about a mother. ?

Sunshine Country said...

Sister in the Mid-west... That's okay! I didn't even notice that there wasn't a verse that said that until you pointed it out. :) I know sometimes there are extra verses in different hymnbooks, so maybe there was one in the book you remember.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

What a beautiful hymn you shared! I have never heard it before. Such beautiful truth and meaning in the old hymns! I love them dearly :) You shared such beautiful pictures, and comforting scriptures and words, many blessings to you!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Ah Dear Sunshine sorry am so tardy in comments. Yes love this hymn, it is not common one but much loved by me none the less, I remember
I had an old cassette recording with it on sung by the Haven of Rest Quartet.

It was quite an old recording from 1980s I’d say. Friends of mine reproduced it and sent it to me it was comfort, balm of Gilead to my lonesome days in early years of return to my home here from Melbourne. It was hard times good to be reminded we do have a safe pilot who guides us safely over.
Our church still sings only traditional hymns from a sound hymnal. No little ditties or chorus singing for us. Mind you with COVID-19 it’s not allowed group singing so we don’t sing anyway, one sings out front while we follow on with paper, no hymn books used either.
Beautiful photography too sis.

Thanks for Sharing, God bless and keep you safe, and all those you love,
hugs Shaz in Oz.x

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}