Friday, March 3, 2017

Moist Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins


I tried this recipe for the first time today, and was happy with how the muffins turned out! They are moist and flavorful. I really like the addition of ground oatmeal, which makes them a bit different from ordinary blueberry muffins. I used frozen blueberries as the recipe calls for, but the muffins would probably taste even better with fresh ones if you have those available. 

Ingredients

1 2/3 cups old-fashioned oats
3 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2/3 cup)
2.33 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 1/2 cup)
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk (I used plain milk)
1/4 cup butter or canola oil
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind (optional)
2 large eggs
2 cups frozen blueberries
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Cooking spray
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

  • Preheat oven to 400°.
  • Place oats in a food processor or blender; pulse 5 to 6 times until oats resemble coarse meal. Place in a large bowl.  Add flours and next 5 ingredients to oats in bowl; stir well with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. 
  • Combine buttermilk and next 3 ingredients in small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
  • Toss berries with 2 tablespoons flour, and gently fold into batter. Spoon batter into 16 muffin cups coated with cooking spray; sprinkle 2 tablespoons granulated sugar evenly over batter. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove from pans immediately; place on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

6 comments:

Sister in the Mid-west said...

These look delicious! I was reading this while Mr. In The Mid-west and I were sitting in the living room. I said to him, " I know what snack I will be making for you next!" I think I have all of the ingredients required (no lemon zest, but that is optional). I am planning on using kefir in place of the buttermilk. It usually makes a good substitute.
Thanks for sharing this recipe! :)

A Joyful Heart said...

These sound so good!I love blueberries, especially fresh ones in pancakes and muffins. Thanks for sharing!

A Heart of Praise said...

These look and sound really good! I love muffins, for the most part, they are so easy and quick to mix up and bake. :) Earlier this week I made some pumpkin chocolate chip muffins- one of my favourites. :).

Sunshine Country said...

Thank you all for your comments! :) Unbelievably, since Blogger changed the way to receive comments, I didn't even know I had any comments on my most recent posts until now when I finally clicked on the section for comments awaiting moderation, in case everyone was wondering why their comments hadn't been posted. I know, it was ridiculous of me to not check it sooner. :)

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Haha!! That is funny! :) I figured you must not be getting your comments because it is not like you to leave comments unpublished.

Sister in the Mid-west said...

I tried these muffins today! I did end up buying lemons so that I could add the lemon zest. I didn't have any brown sugar, though. I used regular sugar and added molasses to make up for the missing brown sugar.
Here are my muffins:
http://simplyinspirations101.blogspot.com/2017/03/snow-and-muffins-again-blueberry.html?m=1